I can finally say that my motivation is back, after a long holiday.
I never really stopped what I was doing – apart from when I went to New Zealand for three weeks over Christmas and New Year, as much as I tried to be health conscious, after the third day it all went out of the window, too many barbeques invitations and yummy dessert!
I got back home on January 4th, and let me tell you, I have been in Struggleville since.
But you know what? Since coming back, I never gave up. After falling off the wagon, I climbed it back on straight away. I never stopped running, even though I was only running twice and maybe three times a week. I pushed myself through the lack of motivation.
Motivation is a tricky thing, you know. I quote Michelle Bridges when I say ‘Motivation is like a bad boyfriend, is never there when you need it!’ This is so true. If I ever rely on my motivation to take me places, forget about it. I do not wake up everyday feeling energized and ready to smash it. Some days I feel like I HAVE to eat chocolate, some days I am way too tired so I don’t really feel like running. You just have to push through it, not even start thinking about the reasons why you have the excuse not to exercise, or you had a rough day so you ‘deserve’ chocolate.
But I know when you are actually motivated, things do become easier.
What I do to get motivated/excited?
- Read blogs/articles that give me inspiration. We live in an era when things are so easy, you can easily create a circle of things to keep you motivated. There are thousands of awesome ladies out there in the same journey, a lot of awesome success stories (I love those!) There are normal people, just like you and me and they have a lot to offer when it comes to support and motivation!
- Join My Fitness Pal or Sparkpeople . I use both for different reasons. I like the food tracker better at My Fitness Pal but Sparkpeople has a lot of awesome resources to keep you going!
- Look for tasty food that you love, it will keep you interested in what you are eating, so you dont feel like you are depriving yourself. Or if you are like me, lacking time for really elaborate meals, simple meals are always good.
- Find an exercise buddy. Sometimes my friend being there is the only thing that keeps me going while running
- Don’t give up! If you are having a bad day, too tired to work out, think about where you want to get. Get back on the wagon straight away and don’t beat yourself up for falling off it. I can guarantee you that 99% of people out there who lost weight, didn’t have it perfect all the time!
Motivation comes and goes. The secret to weight loss is CONSISTENCY, whether you feel like it or not
I hope you find this helpful